Niagara Falls Heritage Portal
Niagara Falls Heritage Portal

 [Home] 
 

Historical plaques - (Attractions & Highlights)
Title Historical plaques
Alternate Title  Willowbank
Creator  Ontario Heritage Foundation. Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Recreation
Description  Plaque inscription reads "An outstanding example of Classical Revival architecture, this stately home was begun in 1833 and completed some two years later. It was erected by Alexander Hamilton (1794-1839), Sheriff of the Niagara District and fourth son of the powerful Upper Canadian businessman, Robert Hamilton, and it possesses a formal elegance befitting the affluence and prominence of the Hamilton family. Constructed of fine quailty grey stone, Willowbank is distinguished by four pairs of tall white pillars surmounted by a handsome portico. The classic proportions of the structure are enhanced by its majestic setting in spacious grounds on a rise over-looking the village of Queenston. Owned by the Hamilton family until 1934, Willowbank remains little altered from its original appearance"
Notes  Transcription courtesy of Wayne Cook ;
Subject  Monuments
  Historical plaques
Location  Queen Street Queenston



[back]

 

Contact | Submit Information | Site requirements | Terms of Use
Copyright © 2005-2018, Niagara Falls Heritage Portal Partners